Sunday, February 17, 2008

Rude People


I haven't posted in so long, I don't even know where to start. So I think I will just recap the rude comments people have made to me this week regarding my pregnancy. What the fuck is wrong with people? I must say, most of these comments have been made by post-menopausal women. For example, here is a conversation I had today outside of church:
Random Old Lady: "When is your baby due?"
Me: "Oh, around March 22."
ROL: " Oh no! So you have a while then."
Me: "I guess. About 5 weeks."
ROL: "Yes, but 5 weeks is a long time."
Me: "Well, compared to 40 weeks, no, not really."
ROL: (sighs) "I remember those days. Those last 5 weeks."
Me: (gestures in direction of Caroline and William) "Yes, I do too."

On Tuesday, I was accosted by a midget at William's Valentine's Day Party. I think she was somebody's grandmother, I had never seen her before.
Midget grandmother: "When is your baby due?"
Me: "March 22."
MG: "MARCH 22??????? (she acts as if I said July 22nd). YOU MEAN YOU STILL HAVE ALL OF FEBRUARY TO GO???? 2 MONTHS???????"
Me: (feeling a little depressed now): "Well, about 6 weeks. Maybe less." <--- flares nostrils and walks away.

I have also had two friends say:
" Have you gained much weight this time? Because after you had Caroline, you were some kind of woman."
" Oh, you are only 35 weeks? You're pretty big to only be 35 weeks don't you think?"

I must say that one of these so-called friends was male and the other is female but has no children, so they are slightly excused. But seriously? If you are a) a mother, post-menopausal age or not or b) a man that has a child so you have dealt with a pregnant woman before YOU SHOULD KNOW SO MUCH BETTER.

I am sure I will get many more comments between now and March 22. It is becoming almost comical. I will keep you all posted.

6 comments:

Elizabeth H. said...

No way! I am sure that you look wonderful. You didn't know the random church lady at all? That is, well, random.

Archibald said...

" Have you gained much weight this time? Because after you had Caroline, you were some kind of woman."

Um, guilty as charged. Except I said "right before you had Caroline," which is, indeed, a much different context.

Sorry, regardless, if I hurt your feelings.

Katherine C. said...

I accept your apology, Archibald. I don't expect single ostriches like you to "get it" anyway. Perhaps one day you will impregnate the research scientist and she will whip you into shape.

Nat D said...

I hope I haven't made insensitive comments. I'm just excited. It was really great seeing Caroline and Weebs yesterday. Weebs really is so big! He went from a baby to a running-around person so fast!

Katherine C. said...

Nanny, you have not said anything offensive. :)

Anonymous said...

"How many are in there?" A small boy in the pet shop when I was 8 months pregnant with Lucy.