Thursday, February 21, 2008

What a harrowing day

I wish I looked as fit and firm as the above woman looks in her stressed out state.
So around 10:30 this morning, I loaded up the minivan with my 2 children and we headed to Dr. Traci's office in a huge rainstorm. We got to the clinic and of course had to park in what was probably the farthest parking place from the door. Of course, my umbrella is broken so we had to walk in the rain. I had to carry William and he is a heavy boy. By the time we got to the door, we were soaked. We went in the bathroom and made a half-assed attempt to dry off with paper towels, but it didn't really work out.
We got called back to a room fairly quickly but then we had to wait a L O N G time before Dr. Traci finally got to us. She apologized profusely and said she had been admitting another patient to the hospital. Poor other patient! She then examined Caroline and said she definitely is "hiving." And yes, it is an allergic reaction to the Omnicef she has been taking since last week. She gave her some Allegra and said the sinus infection is not completely gone so she prescribed some Zithromax. C feels pretty much fine so I am fairly certain she will return to school tomorrow. Then it was time to examine poor William. She heard some "crackling" in his chest which means he either has a) bronchitis or b) pneumonia. Knowing that W will not take oral antibiotics (her own son named William was the same way), Dr. Traci said she would give him a shot of Rocephin. Have any of you ever had a Rocephin shot? I have not personally had one, but the needles are big and it supposedly burns a lot and is quite painful for little kids. It took 3 adults (2 nurses and me) to hold the big boy down and he screamed and cried. If you have ever had to hold your child down for a shot or any other unpleasant medical procedure, you know that this ranks up there with one of the suckiest things on the planet. Afterwards, both C and W got lemon suckers and picked out stickers. Caroline took forever to choose her stickers, acting as if she was a young man choosing an engagement ring before he proposes marriage. I finally told her to get moving and we headed to the lab.
At the lab, Caroline and I could not go in the X-ray room with Weebs because I am with child and C has delicate reproductive parts. So my poor 3 year old, who was already traumatized by a shot, had to go back in the X-Ray room without his mommy. He handled it like a champ though and did not cry. However, when I was allowed back in and he saw me, he cried and cried. My poor baby. I love that kid so much it is painful.
Now we are back at home and W is limping around and surly. I slipped some Motrin in his juice cup and hopefully that will kick in soon and make his leg feel better. I am
anxiously awaiting the X-ray results. If it is bronchitis, the one shot today will suffice. If anything else shows up on the X-ray, he will need 2 more shots. I am not sure if either of us can physically or emotionally handle this. Please cross all fingers that it is just good old bronchitis.

4 comments:

Elizabeth H. said...

I am sorry for Weebs and I am very sorry for you. Rough day!

Archibald said...

I love you. You are fatter than a hippo. It's because you're pregnant and you're not going to give birth until next July.

Either that, or you're a beautiful, sexy, surly, pregnant woman with two beautiful adopted children from Central America. (and we ALL know you're not pregnant, but I'll let that fantasy simmer)

Annie said...

Oh god. That was actually us Dr. Traci was admitting into the hospital. Sorry bout that. So excited for you that you are dilating like a woman!

Clinton Gene Healey said...

madison had to have 10 days of Rocephin shots for an earache in the pre-tube days. They hurt big time..imagine doing it 10 times-everyday for 10 days