Thursday, January 24, 2008

Childhood Pets

My favorite childhood pet was my Boston Terrier named Stinky. Her real name was Bonnie Brooke, but it morphed into Stinky because that is what my brother called her and it stuck. We got her when I was 7. My brother went and bought her after my mom distinctly told him not to. Oh well! We all adored Stinky and were glad that Neal disobeyed. Sadly, we had to have her put to sleep when I was about 20 and we all miss her still.
Before that, we had another Boston Terrier named Jill. But I called her Ficky because I was only 2 and trying to say she was "Frisky." Ficky disappeared one day and I remember my mom driving Neal and I around the neighborhood while we looked high and low and yelled "FFIIIIICCCKKKKYYYYY!" at the top of our lungs. Next came another Boston named Dolly, but we all called her Sweetie for some reason. I have no idea why my family names an animal one thing and calls them something different (we also had a cat named Murray, but we called him Kitty. Shitty Kitty to be exact). Anyway, Sweetie disappeared just like Ficky and that is what led to Stinky. RIP, Stinky. I miss you.
I also remember my friends pets. Such as:
Misty, the Carpenter's Collie.
Bonnie, the Depp's Chocolate Lab
Tooney and Andrew, the Middleton's Bostons. And of course, Josephine the Black Lab
Jacques, the Healey's Poodle
Muffin, the Abercrombie's Golden Retriever
Annabelle, an obnoxious little shithead black dog that belonged to Elizabeth Bullock's grandmother. She bit me on the leg and it freaking HURT.

Anyway, that is my little trip down memory lane regarding pets.

9 comments:

Archibald said...

I once had a pet, but he was an amoeba and not a lot of fun to play with.

j-ro said...

I saw a dog the other day at the dog park that reminded me of ol stinky and I told Chuck the story of Stinky...we not "the story of", but I did say that you had a dog named Stinky and I always thought that was funny....

Katherine C. said...

I want another Boston Terrier one day. But first we need our new baby to a) be born and b) grow up a bit

Anonymous said...

Jaucques the healey poodle played a large role in my teenage years. What was the really old poodle's name? Jhi-Jhi?

Elizabeth H. said...

Poor, Annabelle! Now I have sweet Huey and he will not bite you. Stinky Jean and Shitty Kitty were great pets.

Nat D said...

I remember both Stinky Gene and Shitty Kitty aka Murray. Jacques!

Good post!

Nat D said...

Khaki, I am glad that Nosaj is home too, but please post! I miss your posts!

Clinton Gene Healey said...

I loved Stinky and Jacques was my favorite dog to this day and I will always love poodles- do you remember the Morris' (as in Estelle, Claire and little brother) poodles?

Clinton Gene Healey said...

Yes, Little Fish- Jacques the French poodle played a large role in our teenage or my tween years- the previous one was Gigi- now we have Lady Ming Lei-a shitso (sp?) my father's way of replacing his girls who have all flown the coop.